Search Postgresql Archives

Re: White space affecting parsing of range values

On 5/6/20 9:00 AM, Thom Brown wrote:
Hi,

I noticed I'm getting an error when adding white space to a numeric
range.  I can run this:

postgres=# SELECT 5::numeric <@ '(,10]'::numrange;
  ?column?
----------
(1 row)

But I can't run this:

postgres=# SELECT 5::numeric <@ '(  ,10]'::numrange;
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type numeric: "  "
LINE 1: SELECT 5::numeric <@ '(  ,10]'::numrange;
                              ^
If one had constructed a series of ranges, and wanted to line them up
vertically for easy comprehension, this wouldn't be possible.

This doesn't seem to be a problem with regular numeric values:

postgres=# SELECT ' 3 '::numeric;
  numeric
---------
        3
(1 row)

Shouldn't white space be ignored in range values?

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/rangetypes.html

"Whitespace is allowed before and after the range value, but any whitespace between the parentheses or brackets is taken as part of the lower or upper bound value. (Depending on the element type, it might or might not be significant.)
"

SELECT 5::numeric <@ '(00,10]'::numrange;
 ?column?

Adrian Klaver