Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Checking for Presence of Required Libraries Fails during PostgreSQL Upgrade

On 5/2/20 12:30 AM, TalGloz wrote:
Adrian Klaver-4 wrote
On 5/1/20 3:39 PM, TalGloz wrote:
Adrian Klaver-4 wrote
Why not compile them against 11?

Then follow step 5) here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/pgupgrade.html

Step 5 doesn’t actually say how to compile them during the upgrade
process
it just gives a warning about not to use "CREATE EXTENSION my_lib"
because
this won't effect the target version. Do you mean that I'll have to
compile
them manually to my target PostgreSQL Version?

You haven't said how you installed the various versions of Postgres in
the first place. Bottom line is that the libraries that existed in the
old version need to exist on the new version. If they where not included
as part of the install process them they need to be manually
created/added.

--
Sent from:
https://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html

--
Adrian Klaver

adrian.klaver@

I use Fedora OS and I've a set up and running PostgreSQL10 instance that
I've installed using
*dnf install postgresql10**. Sicne I've decided to upgrade directly to 12
instead of to 11 I've installed the 12 version using *dnf install
postgresql12**. I'm currently following the steps described in:

1.  UPGRADE POSTGRESQL 10 To 11
<https://dbtut.com/index.php/2018/10/30/upgrade-postgresql-10-to-11/>  . It
has some syntax errors in the suggested command lines that I've corrected on
my side.

2.  How to upgrade PostgreSQL from 11 to 12
<https://www.kostolansky.sk/posts/upgrading-to-postgresql-12/>  . The steps
were written for Ubuntu / Debian, It should work the same by updating the
paths to correct Fedora related paths of PostreSQL installation.

Unfortunately, none of the tutorials describes the steps on how to port /
handle some manually created C extension functions libraries to the new
PostgreSQL instance.

Follow the same procedure you used to build/install them for the Postgres 10, except run against the 12 instance. Do this before you do the pg_upgrade procedure.

TalGloz

--

adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx