Search Postgresql Archives

Re: how to slow down parts of Pg

On 4/21/20 7:43 PM, Virendra Kumar wrote:
Hi Adrian,

Here is test case, basically when autovacuum runs it did release the space to disk since it had may be continuous blocks which can be released to disk but the space used by index is still being held until I ran the reindex on the table (I assume reindex for index would work as well). Subsequent insert statement did not utilize the blocks in index segment as we can see below so index bloats are still not addressed or may be I am doing something wrong:

Well I learned something. I replicated your commands on my 12 instance and got the exact same results. I should have read this:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/routine-reindex.html

before.

--
Adrian Klaver