Search Postgresql Archives

Re: easy way to acquire height / width from images (PNG, JPEG) stored as bytea?

On 17/04/2020 13:37, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
Hello Dear List,

we have a table holding email attachments as bytea, and we would like to filter out images of small dimensions, which are not of any value to our logic.

I took a look at pg_image extension, tested it, and it proved problematic, it killed my 200+ days uptime FreeBSD box :( . I dropped the extension and uninstalled this as soon as fsck finally finished.

If running an extension crashed your server you should look at how / why, especially if it corrupted your filesystem.

That shouldn't happen on a correctly configured system, so the underlying issue might cause you other problems. Crashing postgresql, sure, but not anything that impacts the rest of the server.

Cheers,
  Steve