Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Mixed Locales and Upgrading

On 2020-04-07 18:41, Don Seiler wrote:
Follow-up question, the locale setting on the host would still be set to en_US (as would the postgres and template0 databases). Should I look to change that locale on the system to en_US.UTF-8, or even just for the postgres user that the DB cluster runs as? What are the ramification for doing (or not doing) so?

I think the only place where this would really matter is that psql by default sets the client encoding based on the current OS locale setting. So if you don't change the setting to en_US.UTF-8, then you might get encoding errors when selecting data that is not representable as LATIN1 or whatever. However, if you change the setting, that doesn't mean your terminal setup will actually display Unicode correctly. You said you're dealing with mostly ASCII-ish data anyway, so it will probably not make a difference.