Search Postgresql Archives

Re: dbeaver

Both features reside only in the client side, of course.

A virtual column allows to permanently show, in a table, a column calculated from a _javascript_-alike _expression_. That _expression_ is based on other columns of the table and offers several mathematical functions. I know that you can do the same with a view, which is much more powerful, but doing this in the client-side has some advantages in certain situations:

  1. If you have not permission to create a view.

  2. If you have permission, but don't want to clutter the schema. So it's not invasive to other users.

  3. You can use this column to color the rows by a given criteria.

  4. Maybe the most important: since you're viewing a table and not a view, you can still edit the records from the GUI, as usual.
Virtual foreign keys, on the other hand, didn't seem interesting to me... Until I had to work with a database from Microsoft Navision in SQL Server. Navision don't use foreign keys at the database level. So, in order to figure out the relationships among tables, I had to add virtual FKs. That way, I had a permanent visual aid. That feature, combined with the auto-diagrams generated by DBeaver, allowed me to understand part of that mess. It was my salvation.