Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How can I recreate a view in a new schema such that the view def references tables in the new schema ?

On 3/26/20 10:16 AM, David Gauthier wrote:
Here's an interesting one for you...
psql (9.6.7, server 11.3) on linux

I have 2 DBs, differnet servers/instances.  I want to take all the metadata and data for a set of tables/views in the public schema of one DB and move it all over to be inside a schema of a second DB/instance.

Well first, the current minor version of 9.6 is .17 so you are 10 releases behind. In fact the 9.6.8 release includes changes that impact the below:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/release-9-6-8.html

I'm using pg_dump to create the script and I believe I can insert a "set search_path=myschem" in the output of pg_dump such that when it runs, the "CREATE TABLE", "CREATE VIEW", "GRANT...", etc.... commands, will all go into the new schema (which I have prepared).  Problem is the view defs. The view defs do not prefix the referenced tables with "myschem.", so the CREATE VIEW xyx commands fail.

Is there a way to do this ?

By manually changing the definition? It is not an error for a VIEW in one schema to refer to tables in other schemas. AFAIK the code has no way of knowing you want to move the underlying tables just by specifying a search_path.

Thanks in Advance.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx