Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Fwd: PG12 autovac issues

On 3/18/20 6:57 AM, Justin King wrote:
Please reply to list also
Ccing list

Here are the settings, these are the only ones that are not set to
default with the exception of a few tables that have been overridden
with a different value due to lots of updates and few rows:

And those values are?

Thanks for the response, hopefully this will help:

The below is helpful, but what I was referring to above was the settings for the overridden tables.

postgres=# select name,setting from pg_settings where name like '%vacuum%';
name = setting
autovacuum = on
autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor = 0.1
autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 2500
autovacuum_freeze_max_age = 200000000
autovacuum_max_workers = 8
autovacuum_multixact_freeze_max_age = 400000000
autovacuum_naptime = 15
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = 20
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit = -1
autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0.2
autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 500
autovacuum_work_mem = -1
log_autovacuum_min_duration = 0
vacuum_cleanup_index_scale_factor = 0.1
vacuum_cost_delay = 0
vacuum_cost_limit = 1000
vacuum_cost_page_dirty = 20
vacuum_cost_page_hit = 1
vacuum_cost_page_miss = 10
vacuum_defer_cleanup_age = 0
vacuum_freeze_min_age = 50000000
vacuum_freeze_table_age = 150000000
vacuum_multixact_freeze_min_age = 5000000
vacuum_multixact_freeze_table_age = 150000000

More below.

autovacuum = on
log_autovacuum_min_duration = 0
autovacuum_max_workers = 8
autovacuum_naptime = 15s
autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 500
autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 2500
vacuum_cost_limit = 1000

Are either of the below set > 0?:

vacuum_cost_delay

autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay

We want fairly aggressive autovacs to keep table bloat limited -- the
application latency suffers if it has to wade through dead tuples and
staying near realtime is important in our environment.

** Also, it should be noted that the autovacuum_analyze_threshold is
probably an incorrect value, we likely intended that to be 250 and
just have now realized it after poking more at the configuration.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx

--