Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Order by and timestamp

On 3/15/20 2:48 PM, Steven Lembark wrote:
On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 22:33:35 +0100:wq
Björn Lundin <b.f.lundin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And to my surprise i get a result like this  (note the order of
column STARTTS)

(1) Suggest using "pastebin.com" for this kind of data. It may not
     look very pretty -- or readable at all -- on the viewer's end
     depending on their settings (see below for example).

(2) I think you are refering to one section where the date goes
     from 2016-10-01 to 2016-09-30; suggest describing the
     transition in your text and flag the rows with '*' or
     something similar.

          | 2016-10-01 15:35:00 |
          | 2016-10-01 16:10:00 |
        * | 2016-09-30 13:00:00 |
        * | 2016-09-30 13:00:00 |

(3) "Old database" might mean anyting. Provide the PG version
     it was created in and the one you are using along with the
     result of "\d+" in the current database.

That was at the bottom of the post. Version 9.6.10 and a \d for amarkets.

(4) Classic causes of this are a botched index. Depending on the
     size you might just want to either drop and re-add the
     indexes or export and reload the table (e.g., \copy to ...
     + truncate + \copy from ...). The point there would be
     fully rebuilding the table and index structure.

     If that doesn't work perhaps drop and re-add the table with
     whatever version of PG you are using and then \copy the data
     back in using the current version.

(5) If you've tried any of the above then bloody well describe it
     (along with any migration steps taken) in the message so you
     don't have to re-read what you've already done :-)

(6) Don't gamble on horses, play the stock market instead: It
     sounds fancier and you can loose much more money much more
     quickly...  er... yeah.

What this looks like on my end. Feel free to try and make sense
of it yourself.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx