Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Pre-version pg_upgrade syntax check

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020, Adrian Klaver wrote:

I don't know that the port numbers are required.
They are not: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/pgupgrade.html
"Obviously, no one should be accessing the clusters during the upgrade.
pg_upgrade defaults to running servers on port 50432 to avoid unintended
client connections. You can use the same port number for both clusters
when doing an upgrade because the old and new clusters will not be running
at the same time. However, when checking an old running server, the old
and new port numbers must be different."

Adrian,

As I'm the only user of the databases, and both are shut down, I assumed
specifying port numbers was not needed.

Have I missed an option?
Not a required one. Best way to find out is to run --check.

Good advice; I'll do that.

Thanks,

Rich