Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Encoding/collation question

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019, Tom Lane wrote:

String comparisons in non-C collations tend to be a lot slower than they
are in C collation. Whether this makes a noticeable difference to you
depends on your workload, but certainly we've seen performance gripes that
trace to that.

Tom,

How interesting.

If your data doesn't require the larger character set of UTF8, then using
LATIN-any is going to offer some space savings (for non-ASCII characters)
plus minor performance benefits due to the lack of variable-width
characters. This is less significant than the collation issue, though, for
most people.

I doubt that my use will notice meaningful differences. Since there are only
two or three databases in UTF8 and its collation perhaps I'll convert those
to LATIN1 and C.

Thanks for the insights.

Regards,

Rich