Search Postgresql Archives

Re: A question about upgrading on Debian/Ubuntu

On 12/10/19 3:21 AM, stan wrote:
I upgraded successfully on our test machine from V11 to V12 the other day.

The below indicates that this is not the case.

Now it is time to upgrade the production machine. One f the lessons
learned in doing this is to do "make install" on all the extensions used
in the existing DB before doing the pg_dropcluster.

If you are installing from packages then a good deal of the extensions should be in postgresql-contrib and you do not have to do make install.

Do you have packages that come from outside contrib?:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/contrib.html

On the production machine I am confused by the state of the V12 server:

If I do sudo apt-get install postgresql-12 I get a message about this
package being marked to be "manually installed: pg_lsclusters reports on a
version 11 instance:

Do have?:

/etc/postgresql/12/

stan@smokey:~/src/pgemailaddr-master$ pg_lsclusters
Ver Cluster Port Status Owner    Data directory              Log file
11  main    5432 online postgres /var/lib/postgresql/11/main
/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-11-main.log

And when I do a "make install" on one of the extensions, it installs in
the V11 location.

Lets first see what you have for a 12 install before tackling that.

What do I need to do to get the V12 server package correctly installed?

Thanks, in advance.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx