Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pgbackrest concerns and doubts.

Hi Ajay,

On 12/2/19 1:52 AM, Ajay Pratap wrote:

I am using Postgresql 10 and pgbackrest 2.18 version on centos 7.6
I have few doubts regard pgbackrest.
a) what is the log rotation policy for pgbackrest logs. I see it logs on default path /var/log/pgbackrest/<stanzaname>-<operation>.log  what is the log rotation policy of each logs. use case: if i am writing a script to parse the logs and gatter some info, i should be aware of log rotation or if logs doesn't rotate a single file could be huge to parse.
Or should I simply use /logrotate/

pgBackRest does not have any built-in log rotation policies since this is best implemented per OS. Some packages have logrotate scripts and others don't. RHEL doesn't, but you can see a logrotate example in the Debian/Ubuntu package at: https://salsa.debian.org/postgresql/pgbackrest/blob/master/debian/pgbackrest.logrotate

b) since pgbackrest takes physical backup,
  what are the impact if I upgrades minor postgres version(10.5 to 10.10)
and impact on postgres major version(10.10 to 12.X)

Minor PostgreSQL upgrades require no special action in pgBackRest. We test with each minor upgrade to ensure there are no regressions. Unless you have a specific reason not to, it is always best to be running the most recent PostgreSQL minor version.

Major version upgrades will require a pgBackRest stanza-upgrade to be run after the PostgreSQL upgrade is complete. For more information see: https://pgbackrest.org/user-guide-centos7.html#upgrade-stanza.

Regards,
--
-David
david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx