Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Help with authentication on Debain/Ubuntu installation

On 11/21/19 6:35 AM, stan wrote:

Thanks, found it, I believe:

local   all             postgres

Good to know first match wins, that is different than some other systems I
am used to.

OK, there appears to be a bit more than I thought to this. Here is the line I
believe is causing me issues:

# Database administrative login by Unix domain socket
local   all             postgres                                peer

There is a comment saying that removing this is a bad idea, so ...

If the 1st rule matches, I am thinking this will override any rule I put in
after such as:

local all postgres md5

Is my understanding of this correct?

Yes.

The question is whether you really need a password connection to a local socket or not?

If so then you will need to make the change and deal with any scripts that are expecting a password free socket connection.

If not leave it alone. If you want to test password connection then use a -h localhost to get a host connection.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx