Search Postgresql Archives

RE: Upgrade procedure

>From: rihad <rihad@xxxxxxx>

>Hi, all. Why is it normally suggested to stop the server, upgrade it, then start it? Wouldn't it be easier & quicker to simply upgrade the package in-place and restart the service? On OSen that allow modification of currently running binaries, which is most Unix OS, M$ Windows being a notable exception )

That might be possible on a minor upgrade, but quite probably not on a major version upgrade. I'm reasonably sure I've read that a major upgrade *can* change underlying data/structures for tables and other things. I don't think you want version-X writing to the tables on disk while version-Y writes a new layout to the same files at the same time. 😊

As always, see the fine manual, especially the part on upgrades and release notes.

Kevin

This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, review, copy or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify us by reply e-mail, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them to disk. Thank you.