Search Postgresql Archives

Re: A question about sequences and backup/restore cycles

On 10/21/19 5:13 PM, stan wrote:

I typically design a system with primary keys defined, like this:

CREATE TABLE employee (
employee_key           integer DEFAULT nextval('employee_key_serial')
		PRIMARY KEY ,

I use scripts to build the database structures and load the data. I am
careful to get the dependencies in the correct order, so that the keys later
structures depend on already exist.

Today I was going over the design for the current project with a friend,
whose expertise i respect. he said that he had issues on a system designed
by an OEM that had dependencies on keys developed from sequences after a
backup/restore cycle,

Will I potentially have these issues? If so, what can I do different to
avoid this being an issue?

It is not clear to me what you are doing:

1) Are you using pg_dump/pg_restore to populate a database?
If so it will take care of the dependencies.

2) Are you using a home built method to populate the database?
In that case you take responsibility for dependencies.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx