Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pgbackrest with PAF(corosync and pacmaker)

On 10/17/19 9:48 AM, Ajay Pratap wrote:

I am using pacemaker and corosync to setup two nodes High availability cluster for postgreSQL 10. In the scenario I want to setup timely backup with pgbackrest. Using the _backup from standby_ feature I could able to take backup from my secondary  postgres. But if secondary postgres is down, it does not take backup from primary.

This is entirely on purpose. Backup from standby is designed to reduce load on the primary so we believe it is counter-intuitive to put load back on the primary when the standby is down. Running backups *at all* when degraded is usually a bad idea.

> Is there any way to achieve this?

You can run more than one standby and pgBackRest will automatically select the first one it finds that is up. If you must take a backup when degraded then you can specify --no-backup-standby on the command line to disable standby for that one backup.

Regards,
--
-David
david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx