Search Postgresql Archives

Clarification on the release notes of postgresql 12 regarding pg_upgrade

There are a few instances where the release notes seem to indicate that the administrator should use pg_dump to upgrade a database so that improvements on btree can be available.

Here are they:

1.

>In new btree indexes, the maximum index entry length is reduced by eight bytes, to improve handling of duplicate entries (Peter Geoghegan)
  • > This means that a REINDEX operation on an index pg_upgrade'd from a previous release could potentially fail.

  • 2.
  • >Improve performance and space utilization of btree indexes with many duplicates (Peter Geoghegan, Heikki Linnakangas)
    >Indexes pg_upgrade'd from previous releases will not have these benefits.

    3.
    >Allow multi-column btree indexes to be smaller (Peter Geoghegan, Heikki Linnakangas)
    >Indexes pg_upgrade'd from previous releases will not have these benefits.

    My questions are:

    1. Is this a current limitation of pg_upgrade that will be dealt afterwards?

    2. Are we going to see more of such cases were pg_upgrade leaves the database incompatible with newer features.

    3. What's the recommendation for administrators with databases that are too large to be upgraded with pg_dump?