Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Users, Roles and Connection Pooling

On 10/2/19 5:27 PM, raf wrote:

I can't help with questions about scale but I like to give roles/users
almost no permissions at all. i.e. They can't select, insert, update
or delete anything. All they have permission to do is to execute stored
functions that were installed by a role with the necessary permissions
and they are security defining functions so the permissions of the role
that created them apply when the functions are called. This means that
there will never be any successful SQL injection, even if the application
code is buggy, so it's more important for web applications, but I apply
this method to internal systems as well. This approach might help with
scaling because fewer users might be needed but I'm not sure.

cheers,
raf

How easy is it to introduce an new function call all the way up to the app user?  Does this approach preclude making use of any query generation techniques available?