Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Convert a row to a nested JSON document containing all relations in PostgreSQL

On 9/6/19 9:35 PM, Ali Alizadeh wrote:
Hello.

In PostgreSQL 10.10, I have created a trigger function that converts the `|NEW|` row to a JSON object using |`to_jsonb(NEW)|`. But now I need to include the records on the other side of the foreign keys in |`NEW|` record in the JSON object in a nested fashion.

Questions:

1) What side are you talking about, the parent of the record or the children?

2) What procedural language are you using?

What is the best and most generic way to accomplish this without prior knowledge about the schema of the `|NEW`| record? I need to keep this trigger function as generic as possible, because I plan to use it on all tables. One level of depth in following foreign keys is currently enough for me.

Thank you.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx