Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_restore issues with intarray

On 9/5/19 4:24 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 9/5/19 4:06 PM, Kevin Brannen wrote:
From: Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>

On 9/5/19 2:57 PM, Kevin Brannen wrote:
I think I need some help to understand what’s going here because I
can’t figure it out and google isn’t helping.

This is for Pg 9.6.5. (Yes, we are upgrading to 12.x in a few months,
or so the plan is.) Pg code came from the community and we compiled it
with no changes. This is on Centos 6.7, though I think the OS doesn’t matter.

We’re calling pg_restore like:

$PGPATH/pg_restore -jobs=$NCPU --dbname=x .

FWIW, the backup was created with:

$PGPATH/pg_dump --clean --create --format=d --jobs=$NCPU --file=$EXP
--dbname=x

The options you are adding for --clean, --create only have meaning for plain text dumps. If you want those actions to occur on the restore then add them to the pg_restore line. Though if you are going to create a new database it will inherit objects from template1(as you found below), assuming you have not set WITH TEMPLATE to something else.

Good point that I'm not doing plain text dumps.

Are you saying that my problem is that I need "--clean" on the pg_restore?

No, just that if you where expecting the clean to happen on the restore you would be disappointed.

I can try that. The fact that this only happens on a few DBs and not all still
mystifies me. See below on the template..

My guess is you where restoring into a database with preexisting objects because neither create or clean was being done.

Just be aware that --clean & --create drops the existing database before creating a new one.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx