Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Variable constants ?

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019, stan wrote:

I need to put a few bossiness constants, such as a labor rate multiplier
in an application. I am adverse to hard coding these things. The best plan
i have come up with so far is to store them in a table, which would have
only 1 row, and a column for each needed constant.

Anyone have a better way to do this?

Failing a better way is there some way I can limit this table to only
allow one row to exist?

Stan,

I've resolved similar issues with changing regulatory agency staff. For your
application(s) I suggest a table like this:

create table labor_rate_mult (
  rate 		real primary_key,
  start_date  	date not null,
  end_date	date
)

This provides both a history of labor rate multipliers and the ability to
select either the most current one or a previous one.

If other factors affect the rate, add attribute columns for them.

Regards,

Rich