Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Converting Access .mdb to postgres

On 8/14/19 10:45 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
On Wed, 14 Aug 2019, Adrian Klaver wrote:

So you have the tables in Postgres, correct?

Adrian,

Not yet. I have the schema extracted using mdb-schema.

I did something similar with the USDA Nutrient database(with notion of
making it a test dataset): https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/doc/index

This is from streamnet.org. They're part of the Pacific States Marine
Fisheries Commission and it's a database of all fish-related information
within the Columbia River basin.

Have you looked at:

https://www.streamnet.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/StreamNetExchangeStandard2018-1.doc

Access allows you to define 'virtual' relationships that are not really
enforced as I found out when looking at the data. Good luck on getting
information, my experience is agencies(I have also dealt with USFWS) do
not respond to requests about their data. If you do get the information I
guessing you will have to create your own method of dealing with it. Don't
count on the data being consistent.

At the federal level cooperation is spotty. Several years ago I downloaded
the International Taxonomic Identification System (ITIS) database (the
internationally accepted list of names -- scientific and common -- for all
animals (perhaps plants, too) in mysql format (I think that was the format)
and my contact there asked for the postgres database when done. I sent him
the dump_all output and he was happy. State level is more open.

Regards,

Rich

--
Adrian Klaver