Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Corrupt index stopping autovacuum system wide

On 17.07.2019 18:14, Andres Freund wrote:

To me that means that we need prioritization across databases, and
between tables, and probably by multiple criteria. I suspect there need to be multiple criteria how urgent vacuuming is, and autovacuum ought to
try to make progress on all of them.

I'm not a contributor, and don't know the code base, so don't normally comment. But it occurs to me in the present case that there may be a short-term workaround for the current problem: could autovacuum visit tables in a random order? Then at least all tables would get vacuumed eventually (in the current case). If, later, more complex priorities are implemented, they could be probabilistic weights.

Best,

-- Shaun Cutts