Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL as a Service

On 7/18/19 9:06 AM, Dirk Riehle wrote:
Please reply to list also.
Ccing list.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2019, 16:56 Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

     > So, back to my main question above. If I wanted to run a DBaaS
    shop with
     > only PostgreSQL open source, how far away from being able to compete
     > with AWS or Azure (or YugaByte for that matter) would I be?

    The difference in resources available. The pull of DBaaS as I see it is
    the being able to spin up db's as needed on a scale needed from one or
    more locations. All with a unified management fronted/API. Being
    competitive means being able to match that.

Yes that's the point. I'm not aware of an open source DBaaS software layer for PostgreSQL. Are there any attempts?

I missed that, I thought you where referring only to the Postgres database component only. So you want the management infrastructure to be Open Source also. I am not aware of any, but I don't work in the DBaaS field so take my observation in that light.

Cheers, Dirk

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx