Search Postgresql Archives

RE: [EXT EMAIL] Re: First Time Starting Up PostgreSQL and Having Problems

> From: Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Brent Bates <BBates@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >      I found the problem.  I cleared everything out and started from scratch, then slowly added my changes back to the configuration files.  The problem was in the postgresql.conf.  At the bottom of the file I had uncommented all the ‘include’ lines, so they looked like this:
> >         include_dir = ''                        # include files ending in '.conf' from

> Ah-hah!  I wonder if we should disallow empty values for these GUCs?
> And/or put in some kind of test for recursive opening of the same config file?  I don't think it'd occurred to anyone that it's this easy to get the code to try to do that.

I would encourage this. 😊 I know on one of my early installs some time back I accidentally did:

data_directory = ''

and had a devil of a time figuring out why the postmaster wouldn't start (in fact it was you Tom that pointed me in the right direction to eventually find the misconfiguration). So I think it would be a great idea to add checks for empty strings in places where that's a problem. An unset value (as in the config is commented out) can be OK as any defaults will be used, but to set some values to the empty string just hurts and it would be a help to new users, or even those of us who make typos, 😊 to get better error messages so we can fix the problem faster on our own.

Kevin

This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, review, copy or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify us by reply e-mail, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them to disk. Thank you.