Search Postgresql Archives

Long running query - connection and keepalives enabled but query not canceled

Hi.

I have database users which have to run some ad-hoc queries on the database. These queries sometimes are pretty long running, especially when a user messes up a join condition for two 1Grows tables and therefore tries to count the number of quarks in the universe or something like this.

After a query fails to return result for some time the user sometimes just closes his laptop lid, dropping his VPN connection and goes home to watch some cats on the Internet.

The TCP keepalives functionality on the database server's operating system would figure out that the connection is not working anymore and close it.

You'd assume that the database would get the info and cancel the query. Except - it does not.

The database would get an error on the connection socket only after it tries to read or write to it next time. But it does not try to do this - it's busy counting those quarks until statement_timeout is reached.

But default statement_timeout has to be quite large - the databases are large (up to several TB) and are sometimes exported with pg_dump, restored etc. - 24 hours is maybe a reasonable setting.

Is there a way to configure the database somehow, so it would figure out that the connection is closed, faster than statement_timeout?

I'd think maybe a periodic signal to the connection process asking for validating its connections somehow if it's running a query longer than tcp_keepalives_idle+tcp_keepalives_count*tcp_keepalives_interval?

I think it would be possible to work-around with some external process checking /proc/[PID]/net/tcp[6] for closed connections and pg_cancel_backend() them. But it's managed PostgreSQL (AWS RDS), so it's not allowed.

Is there any possibility to have something like this added to PostgreSQL? I believe it's not just us having this problem.

--
Tomasz "Tometzky" Ostrowski