Search Postgresql Archives

Re: psql: FATAL: the database system is starting up

On 6/1/19 2:30 PM, Tom K wrote:

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 4:52 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 6/1/19 12:42 PM, Tom K wrote:

     > Of note are the characters f2W below.  I see nothing in the postgres
     > source code to indicate this is any recognizable postgres
    message.  A
> part of me suspects that the postgres binaries got corrupted. Had this
     > case occur with glib-common and a reinstall fixed it.  However the
     > postgres binaries csum matches a standalone install perfectly so
    that
     > should not be an issue.

    It comes from timeline.c:

    https://doxygen.postgresql.org/bin_2pg__rewind_2timeline_8c.html

    pg_log_error("syntax error in history file: %s", fline);

    There should be another error message after the above.

Nope.  Here's the full set of lines in the postgres logs when running the above line:

2019-06-01 17:13:03.263 EDT [14909] FATAL:  syntax error in history file: f2W
2019-06-01 17:13:03.263 EDT [14909] HINT:  Expected a numeric timeline ID.

Actually the above HINT is what I was looking for.

^C
-bash-4.2$

What's interesting is that f2W isn't a string you'd expect to be printed as part of the code logic   ( I mean, what is f2W? ).

As the HINT said neither was Postgres. That is probably down to file corruption.

The point of the POC and the LAB is to test these things across failures as well as various configurations.  To that end, I'm just as curious how to recover from these error conditions as I am just getting things to work.

I think what it proved was that a single point of failure is not good and that there needs to be steps taken to prevent or deal with it e.g. second location backup of some sort.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx