Search Postgresql Archives

Re: with and trigger

On 5/29/19 8:26 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
PegoraroF10 <marcos@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
We like to use With to insert, update and return some value to user. But some
informations of those related tables are not available on that time, is that
a bug ?
No, see the "WITH Clause" section of the SELECT reference page:

     The primary query and the WITH queries are all (notionally) executed
     at the same time. This implies that the effects of a data-modifying
     statement in WITH cannot be seen from other parts of the query, other
     than by reading its RETURNING output. If two such data-modifying
     statements attempt to modify the same row, the results are
     unspecified.

This doesn't explicitly talk about triggers, but I think our attitude
about the case you're discussing is that the results are unspecified.
If a trigger fired in one WITH arm tries to look at the table(s)
modified by other WITH arms, it might or might not see those changes.

Are CTEs still optimization fences?
https://www.2ndquadrant.com/en/blog/postgresql-ctes-are-optimization-fences/