Search Postgresql Archives

Re: does postgresql backup require additional space on disk

On 5/13/19 1:26 PM, Julie Nishimura wrote:
Adrian, thanks for your reply. Couple of clarifications/questions:
1) we are on 8.3 for this server

8.3 does not have ALTER DATABASE name SET TABLESPACE :

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/sql-alterdatabase.html

It does appear until 8.4.

2) I was under impression, that "ALTER DATABASE name SET TABLESPACE new_tablespace" won't move anything, and just utilize the new_tablespace for new tables/indexes. If we would want to move existing tables, we would need to move them one by one by

No think of ALTER DATABASE name SET TABLESPACE  as a bulk operation of
ALTER TABLE /mytableschema.mytable/ SET TABLESPACE /mynewtablespace/ across all existing tables. This assumes the all existing tables live in the current default tablespace. It is moot in your case as 8.3 is not capable of doing this.

ALTER TABLE /mytableschema.mytable/ SET TABLESPACE /mynewtablespace/
/
/

The above is your option in 8.3.

3) I thought if I want to have any newly created dbs go to the new vol, I need to alter template.

It is not required you can spec the tablespace in the CREATE DATABASE command:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/sql-createdatabase.html

Though you can move them to make the tablespace the default. See above link.

4) I was also thinking about changing parameters in config file to point to the newly volume and reload postgresql.conf

default_tablespace

temp_tablespaces

You could that. If you do it, moving the template tables would be redundant.

Am I wrong here?

Thanks,

Julie

--