Search Postgresql Archives

Re: how to add more than 1600 columns in a table?

On 4/24/19 5:55 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
On 2019-Apr-24, pabloa98 wrote:

Regarding to (2), We are good by adding a patch and recompile a patched
version for our server databases.

But we are open on helping to add thousands of columns support as a
compile-time parameter if there are other people interested.
It's hard to say what you're doing wrong when we don't know
what are you actually doing.

I think raising the limit requires changing ItemIdData, t_hoff, and a
few members of PageHeaderData at the very least.  Reading the three
header files involved carefully would probably point out areas I've
forgotten to mention.  I think if you enlarge t_hoff and lp_off/lp_len
to 16 bits, you can use 64kB blocks, which might be useful too.

Note that with pg12 you could have your own table AM that supported
wider ItemIds as a (small?) change on heapam, rather than supplant it
for all tables.  That way you would only pay the (probably considerable)
cost of the wider line pointers on all tables ...

Do views have the same 1600 column limit as tables?