Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Alter domain type / avoiding table rewrite

Thanks everyone..

It seems that the first step:

old_type --> varchar(9)

still requires a table rewrite, while the reverse direction does not.

I'm curious about the performance implication of domain types, i expect that cost is only at insert/update time? I guess we've been wearing that cost up until now.

Adrian is correct - the intention for the DOMAIN with CHECK approach was to allow flexibility moving forward, as the data set is particularly large...

I'm now thinking that since promotion to a larger size is a non-issue, and domain type seems to be not quite the panacea I hoped, then the use of varchar(n) is perhaps not so terrible!

Thanks for the advice/suggestions/discussion :)