Search Postgresql Archives

PG10 declarative partitioning that allow null value

Hello All,
currently we are planning to migrate inheritance partitioning to declarative partitioning by range values of int on pg10. But the key values can contain null. I know that range partitioning does not allow null values. We are looking for workaround for this, that is create a list partitioning and then followed by range sub-partitioning. List partitioning of number of digits of the int key column.

CREATE TABLE partitioned_table_name (like table_name) partition by list (floor(log(int_key_column)+1));

create table partitions_1 partition of partitioned_table_name for values in (null); create table partitions_2 partition of partitioned_table_name for values in (1);
create table partitions_2 partition of partitioned_table_name for values in (9) partition by range(int_key_column);

Question is :
is this a good practice ? will performance dropped significantly due to the process of counting the number of digits ?
or is there any better workaround for this ?

Thanks,

Soni.