Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Unable to Vacuum Large Defragmented Table

On 4/7/19 3:08 PM, Igal Sapir wrote:
I have a table for which pg_relation_size() shows only 31MB, but pg_total_relation_size() shows a whopping 84GB.

What does:

pg_indexes_size()

show.

Also how many indexes are on the table?

The database engine is running inside a Docker container, with the data mounted as a volume from a partition on the host's file system.

When I try to run `VACUUM FULL`, the disk usage goes up until it reaches the full capacity of the partition (about 27GB of free space), at which point it fails.

Yeah it would:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/sql-vacuum.html
"Selects “full” vacuum, which can reclaim more space, but takes much longer and exclusively locks the table. This method also requires extra disk space, since it writes a new copy of the table and doesn't release the old copy until the operation is complete. ..."

How can I reclaim the disk space here other than write the data to a new table and drop the old one?

Thank you,

Igal

--
Adrian Klaver