Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Fwd: Camel case identifiers and folding

On 3/16/19 1:53 AM, Steve Haresnape wrote:
My apologies I sent this reply to David only by mistake.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: *Steve Haresnape* <s.haresnape@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:s.haresnape@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 13:09
Subject: Re: Camel case identifiers and folding
To: David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:david.g.johnston@xxxxxxxxx>>

As I said, I don't want to quote my identifiers. I know what that does. I want to specify them in a certain way, see them in that same way, but refer to them in any old way.

You can call it normalize or fold or whatever. It's a bad design choice, and not even a completely compliant choice.

It is SQL standard(sort of) so I would not call it a bad choice. It deviates from the standard in that it folds down not up, but for your case that would not matter.

Is a cure contemplated? I know it's not just me that dislikes this.

I would say no. Probably matched by folks who would dislike having it changed.

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 at 12:21, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:david.g.johnston@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 4:07 PM Steve Haresnape
    <s.haresnape@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:s.haresnape@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

     > I'm porting a sql server database to postgresql 9.6. My camelCase
    identifiers are having their humps removed. This is disconcerting
    and sad.

     > Is there a cure for this?

    No

     >I don't want to quote my identifiers unless I have to.

    PostgreSQL made the choice long ago to normalize unquoted identifiers
    to lower case.  Quoting them will preserve whatever you type,
    including case.

    David J.

--
Steve Haresnape