Search Postgresql Archives

Re: POSTGRES/MYSQL

Chris Travers wrote:
> Also MySQL has a query cache that allows the results of very common queries to be much faster.

I have used that feature, and it has bitten me:
https://stackoverflow.com/q/44244482/6464308

I guess only some rather pathological workloads really benefit from that.

> For updates, MySQL avoids a lot of index write overhead.  PostgreSQL has more overhead per update.

That is what I meant when I said that PostgreSQL is less suitable for a key-value store.

There is HOT update which can mitigate the problem if the updated columns are not indexed.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe