Search Postgresql Archives

Re: POSTGRES/MYSQL

On 12/03/2019 09:40, Thiemo Kellner wrote:

Quoting Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

On 3/11/19 9:31 AM, Sonam Sharma wrote:
Hi Adrian,
Ours is retail company and the DB size is Max 30gb, currently we are using db2.

Things to consider:

1) Migration tools for DB2 --> MySQL/Postgresql. I have not done this, so someone else will have to comment.

2) The clients/frameworks/ORMs you use now to connect to the database. Do they also work with Postgresql/MySQL?

It is also worth to consider if the architecture/model of DB2 fits PostgreSQL/MySQL. And while at it, how about getting rid of all the itching quirks of the current solution anyway? I see the danger of getting disappointed by any of PostgreSQL/MySQL if the current solution uses DB2 features that cannot be easily mapped to any of the contenders features.

Bottom line of my insinuation is that the migration tool could be less an point if you get the opportunity to overhaul your application.

Kind two dimes

Thiemo

Yes, I'm aware that different RDDBMS's having their own quirks that people either exploit as benefits, or have to work around in a new DB.  So naively converting one DB to another may have huge performance hits, and possible unexpected results (MySQL, I'm looking at you!) -- even if both DB's were technically equally good!

I think a conversion tool is a good starting point.  However, I strongly agree with Thiemo, that you should carefully review your existing databases design/implementation -- so as to take maximum advantage of the facilities of progress, and avoid any pitfalls created by naively importing isms that are specific to your old db -- that might well be counter productive in PostgreSQL.

Cheers,
Gavin