Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Future Non-server Windows support???

On 3/3/2019 7:30 AM, Laurenz Albe wrote:
Bill Haught wrote:
My main concern is that Microsoft has Enterprise versions of Windows and
versions for everything else which makes me wonder if at some point
Windows versions for desktop use may not have features needed by some
database applications or differences between the versions may be enough
to necessitate slight tweaks to code and compiling additional versions.

Speaking as a semi-ignorant, I had the impressions that all Windows versions
are pretty similar under the hood (with occasional annoying behavior changes),
and most of the differences are on the GUI level, while the C API is pretty
much the same.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

For some reason my previous message went to one member and not the group. I keep getting Wrigley's gum treatment, two of each.

I assume you mean from the perspectives of administrators and "end-lusers" (as many in the GPL / Open Source world would say)?

"...most Windows 95 applications still run fine in Windows 10 - that's 20 years of binary compatibility" See Major Linux Problems on the Desktop, 2018 edition by Artem S. Tashkinov
https://itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html

And yes there are critical differences between Windows Versions. It use to be that you could not put Home on a domain. Even if you have Pro versions you probably still need a Server or Enterprise version to do so. I suspect using the usual peer-to-peer networking to big one of many major sources of hassles (with lack of a package manager and a package format that requires the information needed to clean uninstall or just create a new sets of ini and registry files and boot menu entries being numero uno, ¿entiende?). Home version does not have Group Policy. You cannot set (Enable) "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations" under %SystemRoot%\System32\mmc.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\gpedit.msc > Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update I am betting the Enterprise version is very different under the hood and optimized for very heavy multitasking, disk access and whatever else is needed in that environment.

Micro$oft has a habit of putting in features and then taking them away, hence my concern.

If only Darling got half the support Wine does, they'd probably have something functional, unlike the quarter-baked Wine.

I really wish Linux or Linux plus Darling was a real alternative to Winblows.