Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Recommended way to enable data-checksums on Centos 7?

On 2/24/19 2:39 PM, Ken Tanzer wrote:
Hi.  I recently installed PG 11.2 on Centos 7, following the excellent directions at

.

I wanted to enable data-checksums.  I at first tried appending --data-checksums to the doc-specified command:

/usr/pgsql-11/bin/postgresql-11-setup initdb --data-checksums

but that did not work.  After a glance at that script, I was able to do it with:

export PGSETUP_INITDB_OPTIONS="--data-checksums"
/usr/pgsql-11/bin/postgresql-11-setup initdb

I'm just wondering if there is a more preferred way to do this, and/or any particular reason you can't pass options to initdb?  Also, since the

You can pass options to initdb:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/app-initdb.html

It seems you cannot pass them to the script postgresql-11-setup. That would be a question for the packagers:

https://yum.postgresql.org/contact.php

Or you could just use the initdb program directly instead of going through the script. The caveat being whether that would interfere with what the script does?

checksums are good for data integrity, and can only be done at init time, I wonder if it's worth adding a note about it to that documentation page?

Thanks.

Ken

--
AGENCY Software