Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Size estimation of postgres core files

On 2019-Feb-15, Jeremy Finzel wrote:

> I am trying to determine the upper size limit of a core file generated for
> any given cluster.  Is it feasible that it could actually be the entire
> size of the system memory + shared buffers (i.e. really huge)?

In Linux, yes.  Not sure about other OSes.

You can turn off the dumping of shared memory with some unusably
unfriendly bitwise arithmetic using the "coredump_filter" file in /proc
for the process.  (It's inherited by children, so you can just set it
once for postmaster at server start time).