Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Copy entire schema A to a different schema B

On 2/11/19 8:30 AM, Tiffany Thang wrote:
Thanks Adrian and Ron. Sorry, I was not clear. What I'm trying to achieve was to dump the schema quickly and be able to restore a single or subset of objects from the dump. As far as I understand, the only way of achieving that is to use the custom format and the -j option. Is that correct? Are there any other alternatives?

If you want to use -j then you need to use the -Fd output:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/app-pgdump.html

"-j njobs
--jobs=njobs

Run the dump in parallel by dumping njobs tables simultaneously. This option reduces the time of the dump but it also increases the load on the database server. You can only use this option with the directory output format because this is the only output format where multiple processes can write their data at the same time."

If you need to grab just a subset of the schema then there are options to do that depending on the object. From above link as examples:

"-n schema
--schema=schema

Dump only schemas matching schema; this selects both the schema itself, and all its contained objects. ..."

"-t table
--table=table

    Dump only tables with names matching table.  .."

Thanks.

Tiff

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:10 AM Ron <ronljohnsonjr@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:ronljohnsonjr@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On 2/11/19 10:00 AM, Tiffany Thang wrote:
     > Hi,
     > To copy the source schema A to target schema B in the same
    database in
     > PG10.3, I use psql to dump schema A and manually removes anything
    specific
     > to the schema in the text dump file before importing into schema
    B. How do
     > I achieve the same exporting from Schema A and importing into
    schema B
     > using pg_dump with the -Fc option? Since the dump file generated is
     > binary, I could not make modifications to the file. Is the
    procedure the
     > same in version 11?

    Why do you need to use "--format=custom" instead of "--format=plain"?

    For example:
    $ pg_dump --format=plain --schema-only --schema=A

-- Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx