Search Postgresql Archives

Re: commit within a procedure loop - cannot commite with subtransaction

On 1/21/19 4:43 AM, andyterry wrote:
Hi,

Using a procedure for the first time to run some processing for each row in
a table, generating output to a target table. The following works without
COMMIT the example below gives:

INFO: Error Name:cannot commit while a subtransaction is active
INFO: Error State:2D000

Could someone point me in the right direction so i can understand why and
how i might rework my methodology?

1) This is Postgres 11, correct?

2) I have to believe the issue is the:

PERFORM my_functions.processing_function(grd_geom);

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/plpgsql-transactions.html
"...But if the call stack is CALL proc1() → SELECT func2() → CALL proc3(), then the last procedure cannot do transaction control, because of the SELECT in between."

3) What is my_functions.processing_function() doing?

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE my_functions.first_procedure(
	)
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql'

AS $BODY$

DECLARE

grd_geom geometry(Polygon,27700);
grd_gid integer;
rec data.areas%rowtype;

BEGIN

DELETE FROM data.output;
DELETE FROM data.temp_output;

FOR rec IN SELECT * FROM data.areas
	LOOP
		grd_geom := rec.geom;
		grd_gid := rec.gid;

		PERFORM my_functions.processing_function(grd_geom);
		DELETE FROM data.temp_output;
		COMMIT;
	END LOOP;
RETURN;

END;

$BODY$;

GRANT EXECUTE ON PROCEDURE my_functions.first_procedure() TO postgres;
GRANT EXECUTE ON PROCEDURE my_functions.first_procedure() TO PUBLIC;

Thanks

Andy

--
Sent from: http://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-general-f1843780.html