Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Use bytearray for blobs or not?

On 4/1/19 6:02 μ.μ., Rob Sargent wrote:

On 1/4/19 4:48 AM, Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
On 4/1/19 1:41 μ.μ., Thomas Güttler wrote:
Some months ago I wrote a little application with Python+Django which stores
blob data in bytearrays.

It works.

In the future there will be a lot more traffic, and I am unsure
if this is really a good solution. I know this is more FUD than
concrete PG issue.

What do you think?

Performance (at least for JDBC) is known to be better with blobs.

Do you have any details on which part is slower with bytea? Original insert, read back to client, general (p)sql access.  I'm moving towards bytea but still have time to change my mind if I cannot afford the performance hit.
No since I never used them (blobs) in production. Basically the java driver does not support streaming. So for very large data (e.g. videos, movies, etc) people use blobs.

However, with bytea life is just easier for many reasons (backups, logical replication, other types of replication, sys management, etc).
Yes, and in my case I even get a cheap compression from the original file.

Which alternatives could be useful?

Regards,
  Thomas

--