Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Comparing dates in DDL

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019, Jeremy Finzel wrote:

Another suggestion which hasn’t been mentioned is using ‘infinity’ as the
end date. I like this because it IMO indicates that the record is clearly
the current valid record more than null.

Jeremy,

  I believe that infinity was mentioned in this thread.

But I’m not sure exactly what you are trying to do either. If you are
creating a new record with changes and closing (ending) the range of the
original record, then a GIST exclusion index would ensure you have no
overlapping date ranges for all historical records put together.

  Having overlapping date ranges in a projects table is a Good Thing(TM)
because it means I have multiple, concurrent revenue streams. :-)

Carpe weekend,

Rich

--
I dream of an America where a chicken can cross the road without having its
motives questioned.