Search Postgresql Archives

Re: In which session context is a trigger run?

On 12/28/18 12:47 PM, Mitar wrote:
Hi!

It seems to me that triggers on a table are run in the session context
of the user who made a change in the table, but not of the user who
defined the trigger?

So I create a temporary function:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION pg_temp.my_function()

And it does what?

And a temporary table:

CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE posts_temp (
   "id" CHAR(17) PRIMARY KEY,
);

And I add it to a regular table as a trigger:

CREATE TRIGGER posts_insert AFTER INSERT ON posts REFERENCING NEW
TABLE AS new_table FOR EACH STATEMENT EXECUTE FUNCTION
pg_temp.my_function();

When a row is added to "posts" table outside of my session, function
"my_function" is called, but it seems it cannot access "posts_temp"
table. It seems that "my_function" is called in the session of the

Temp tables can not be seen by other sessions.

user who modified the table, and not the user who created the function
(pg_temp.my_function above) or the user who added the trigger.

Is there a way to modify/configure this? Switch the session? Is there
some other way that I cold define a trigger which runs for a time of
my session and runs and interact with temporary objects inside of my
session, when data on regular tables is modified?

Mitar

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx