Search Postgresql Archives

Re: surprising query optimisation

On 30/11/2018 22:10, Gavin Flower wrote:

I once optimised a very complex set queries that made extensive use of indexes.  However, with the knowledge I have today, I would have most likely had fewer and smaller indexes.  As I now realize, that some of my indexes were probably counter productive, especially as I'd given no thought to how much RAM would be required to host the data plus indexes!  Fortunately, while the objective was to run all those queries within 24 hours, they actually only took a couple of hours.

So, interestingly, this box has 250GB memory in it, and even though I've set effective_cache_size to 200GB, I only see 9G of memory being used. How can I persuade postgres to keep more in memory?

cheers,

Chris