Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to watch for schema changes

On 12/3/18 5:29 AM, Igor Korot wrote:
Hi, Adrian,

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 5:15 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 12/3/18 3:00 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
Hi, Adrian,

What I mean to say was "no schema changes/server changes that comes
independently
of the program install". Or something to that extent.

Which circles back around to the same question:

If there are to be no schema changes after the install why track them on
subsequent connections?

Or maybe an explanation of what you are trying to achieve would make
things clearer?

Ok, it probably will make things clearer.
So I install my program perform some queries and exit.
At the same time if the user will create or delete a table the program should
pick up those changes and act accordingly.

So do you want the user to change the schema?

Or could you use permissions to stop that?

I am just seeing a difficult problem trying to divine user intent from schema changes.

I was hoping to do the watching initialization dynamically, but it looks as it
is more pain and I can probably try to execute the script during the
installation.

So basically I will create the function in C, compile it and then
during the program installation
create a trigger with that function.
Then in my program I will execute "LISTEN" command and act accordingly.

Am I right?

Not sure I have never tried LISTEN on event trigger output.

And executing LISTEN will also work for ODBC connection, right?

Again not something I am familiar with. Someone else on this list may be able to answer that. Or there is:

https://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-odbc/

Thank you.

Sorry, ESL person here.

Thank you.

But I will probably create it on every connection and delete on the
disconnect (see above).

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx