Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Move cluster to new host, upgraded version

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018, Adrian Klaver wrote:

Just realized the question I should have asked is:
How did you get the pg_dumpall file processed by Postgres?
In other words how did you do it without a password?

  As user postgres I entered the command
$ psql -f dump-all.sql

  In any case, I need to back up because I missed something when
initializing the cluster.

  ps ax | grep postgres

shows a number of processes, but psql tells me there's no server running,
and there is no postmaster.opts or postmaster.pid in the data directory.

  I can delete contents of the data directory and re-initdb, or re-install
the application and start from scratch.

Advice appreciated,

Rich