Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Truncation of UNLOGGED tables upon restart.

> There is no such thing as a "read only" table in PostgreSQL.  All tables are read/write no matter that frequency of either event.  There is nothing > inherently special about "no writes for 4 days" and "no writes for 10 seconds" that would allow for a distinction to be made.  There could be write > in progress on the table just as it crashes Friday.

I am aware that unlogged tables have no entries in WAL, but I assumed (incorrectly) that PG will at least keep track whether any writes was done on a table since last checkpoint, and if none, it will find no reason to truncate it.

The use case I was thinking about is that if we have to load a large set of data every weekend and use it for reporting until next weekend, why not create those tables as unlogged.