Search Postgresql Archives

Re: rw_redis_fdw: SQL Errors when statement is within a function

On 10/30/18 9:15 AM, GPT wrote:
Good afternoon!
Postgres did not behave in a 'poor' way, the extension just did not
interpret the results correctly.
Eh! Eh! Adrian/Christoph one minute please because this is something
new (at least in the very clear way you formulate it now and I can
understand it easily)!
The statement was sent correctly from the module to PG; PG returned
the correct set of data to the module; BUT module failed to
interpret/present the data to me!

Q1: Is this what you are telling me?
   a) Yes
   b) No

a) Yes

Q2: Module sent the statement to the PG in a way A which PG does
understand. Did the PG sent back to the module in a way A or B or ...
which module understands?
   a) Yes
   b) No

Not sure of exactly where the breakdown in communication happened, that would need input from the extension developer. From what I gather the extension reparse's the query at some point and failed to take into account that the internal representation of the query may change after a number of repetitions of the query.

Q3: And which part has "triggered" (so, is responsible for) the wrong
errors to appear on my screen,
   a) PG,
   b) the module,
   c) the java driver,
   d) PL/SQL,
   e) undefined,
   f) NULL or
   g) I do not know / I do not respond (joke!)?

b) the module.

See below for explanation:
https://github.com/nahanni/rw_redis_fdw/commit/05f5f3247569e6c428360cc4270606a91e57c6ff

... Postgres has no way of knowing what
happens after its data is passed on.
In this case, I do not disagree at all!

You are looking for Postgres to
follow its responses all the way through the software stack and tell you
if the response is being misused. That is not going to happen.
For God sake! No, I am not! As soon as the correct data left the
PG-space in the format that the statement requested, and the KEY was
not NULL, of course, I do not blame PG.

Q4: If I used psql, I would get the correct data or not?

The query would run correctly, you would not be able to move data to Redis though.

You did ... I am
not seeing what the problem in the process is?
There is not any problem in the process at all. The process is
excellent. Now, I realise that our communication channels/frequencies
maybe are different. We have exchanged so many mails because we are
not able to understand each other.

It is not a joke ...
I do agree! That's why I said it's a joke! Ah, again different frequencies.

Except the problem you ran into:)
+ Eh, "you" added the new plan! Don't be unfair to the developer!

Not trying to be unfair, just pointing out things change and code needs to be tested against the changes.

There is also:

http://www.firebirdsql.org/
https://www.mysql.com/
There are more! Eh eh! "You" fooled me by writing that it is the most
advanced open source database in the world! I believed in "you" and
"your" words!

That is the projects motto, it has nothing to do with me:)

Mysql site writes "The world's most popular open source database". I
am not gonna get fooled again so easily!

I see motto's/slogans as marketing and I consider most marketing as a form of lying.

Which is exactly where you ran into a problem, so I question the easy
part. Still, go for it.
I do not get it! Different frequencies...

I was referring to this:

"But, when the application is finished, it will be very easy
to maintain the application-DB interface and use any other DB. It is a
matter of translation."

The problem you had was a matter of translation. Translation is always going to be tricky, especially the more translations you have to do in a project.

Pretty quickly from what I saw of their responses to your issues.
The enlightenment has not been quickly but easy easy we shall manage
to become together!

Have a nice evening!

Tia

--